Lately all I’ve been eating are smoothies, salads, and sandwiches. Something about summer makes me want to keep things dead simple and no-bake. (Maybe it’s the no air conditioning and greenhouse-like kitchen? I insisted on big windows, I only have myself to blame.)
This is one of my go-to sandwiches because it comes together in a snap. We’re not trying to duplicate a bacon BLT, but just call back to the flavors – super smoky, salty, a little spicy, a little maple-y. Don’t be tempted to compare this to its meat-based counterpart, they’re not the same but they have similar profiles: smoky crisp protein with crunchy greens, soft flavorful tomatoes, and creamy cool avocado.
It’s a perfect combination that takes barely any effort, a win-win in my sunny kitchen!
MARINATED TOFU INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb. block extra-firm tofu
- 1-2 cups soy sauce (low sodium is good!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1-2 tsp sriracha (depending on how spicy you want it)
- fresh-cracked pepper
- First, let your tofu press for about 30 minutes. This is essential in any tofu recipe, because it allows the tofu to be way more flavorful and have great texture.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade by just pouring everything into a sealable container and either shaking or stirring it. Taste it at some point (it should be salty/spicy/sweet/smoky) and then alter it to your preferences. (I like mine really smoky, you might like yours spicier.)
- Probably the only difficult part of this sandwich is thinly-slicing the tofu. I like to make mine about 1/8″ thick, and the thinner you go the better the texture. They don’t need to be perfect and they can have varying thickness, just keep in mind the thinner you go the crispier it can be. (And also, the more breakable!)
- Layer the sliced tofu into the marinade, seal it and refrigerate it for at least one hour. For the best flavor use it later in the day or the next day. I get about 12-15 slices out of one block of tofu, which makes enough for 4-5 sandwiches.
- bread or a roll (check the ingredients, some have milk or butter)
- 1 tomato
- greens (we used baby rainbow chard)
- 1 avocado
- marinated tofu
- Get a pan hot with about a teaspoon or two of cooking oil. Place in a few of the tofu slices, and let it get crispy on each side. It should take a minute or two for each side, depending on how thick you cut it. Add more oil if you love that really crispy, fried stuff.
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, spoon out the flesh, and mash together with a fork.
- Slice the tomato & bread, rinse the greens. Toast the bread if you’re into that. (I am!)
- Spread the avocado on the bread, then stack it high and eat. Enjoy!